Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint

After looking up ecological footprint on Wikipedia, I was surprised to find out that the term "ecological footprint" is a fairly new term that was first publicized by William Rees in 1992. I was also surprised to find out that the UN calculates the world's ecological footprint every single year to see just how resourceful/not resourceful we are being. The last record Wikipedia has of our ecological footprint is from 2006 at 1.4. I would be very interested to find out what our current ecological footprint would be.


I took the ecological footprint quiz and was surprised to find out that mine was 4.6!!!! I did pretty good in every category except for energy land used and services used. It was really disappointing to me to see just how much higher I was than the national average, even if that number is from 2006! 


No comments:

Post a Comment