Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 5: Final Weekly Review and Overall Project Reflection



My SMART Goal: I will take public transportation to school three or more days of the week for the next ten weeks. 

This week I wanted to increase my goal from three days a week to four days a week. Unfortunately I only managed to meet the old goal and rode the bus 3 times this past week. I think the biggest challenge I faced this week was the snow and cold weather. It made it really hard for me to want to walk down the road when it was sooooo cold! Also I was thinking about when I was going to have to walk home when I got off of the bus. Now that that days are getting shorter and it's getting darker earlier and earlier, it was really hard for me to take the bus when I knew I was going to have to walk home in the dark. Even though I didn't meet my improved goal, I was still happy with the fact that I took the bus the three days that I did. I definitely learned that I just need to realize that it's not getting warmer anytime soon so I just need to suck it up and bundle up haha! 

Review of Entire Process
My SMART Goal: I will take public transportation to school three or more days of the week for the next ten weeks. 

My goal changed a little bit during the last weeks. I changed it from three days a week to four because I was satisfied with the progress i was making and thought I could do better. I think that the biggest reason I was so successful was due to the fact that I was blogging about my experience. The fact that other people were reading about my successes and failures made me want to achieve my goal that much more. Things that got in my way were my procrastination in getting ready (so I missed the bus), and the cold and weather. In the future I need to just hurry up and get ready 10 minutes earlier and also realize that the weather is not going to be good all the time so I need to just deal with it. 
The biggest way that I benefited from this project was saving on gas and money. I was astonished at how much gas I was using on the short trip to and from school every week. I also helped out the environment by not using as much gas, and reducing the emissions I was producing. 
I definitely will continue with this behavior. I would be really dumb to not continue taking the bus considering it is free with my U-Card. 
One thing I would recommend to others when making a lifestlyle change.... tell someone about it and ask them to hold you accountable. Check in with them and let them know how you are doing. It's a lot more motivating when someone else cares about it too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment