Part 1
Antiquing: Can refer to two different things. In the first sense, it means going out and shopping or looking for antiques in a variety of locations. In the second sense, it refers to applying special treatments to furniture to make it appear antique. Given that the two concepts have very different meanings, the intent is usually clear from the context.
Junking: The retrieval of ordinarily discarded things and materials. It is a way of redefining the usage of things... not to mention... a way of cleaning up our polluted earth. There are many types of junking, but the most common are street junking and scrapping, both of which can be done for fun or profit.
Flea Market: A flea market is a large, traditionally open-air market where people sell a wide range or goods, typically used. In some regions, people bring their own possessions to a flea market, setting up a small stall to sell various used goods. In other cases, a merchant may actually b e a dealer of used goods who either frequents flea markets or runs a store and travels to flea markets. The name, incidentally, is a reference to flea-laden used clothes which were sold at flea markets in the 17th century. Some people may also call a flea market a bazaar, connecting flea markets with the larger outdoor markets of the Middle East.
Thrift Shop: A retail establishment operated by a charitable organization for the purpose of fundraising. Also can be known as a charity shop, thrift store, hospice shop, resale shop, or op shop.
Upcycling: Converts waste materials into new materials or products of a higher quality or better "environmental value."
Resale Shop: The selling again of something purchased.
Part 2
The above terms are related to environmental health because they all involve the reuse of old products so new ones don't have to be made and also so the old ones aren't taking up space in a landfill somewhere. One's man junk is another man's treasure :)
Antiques: Antique Boutique
357 Canal Park Drive
Duluth, MN 55802
(218)529-7667
Junking: Sellers Auction
2103 1/2 W. 3rd St.
Duluth, MN 55806
(218)722-3360
Lake Superior College
2101 Trinity Road
Duluth, MN 55811
Thrift Shop: Savers
1740 Mall Drive
Duluth, MN
(218)722-1894
Upcycling: Didin't really find anything related in the Duluth area
Resale: Goodwill
700 Garfield Ave.
Duluth, MN 55802
(218)722-6351
I definitely put stores like these to good use. I love shopping for clothes or other goods at places like Goodwill and Plato's Closet. I also love looking around antique shops for fun mostly but once in awhile I will find something that catches my eye that I can't resist buying.
Part 3
I absolutely LOVE this project! I adore different and creative picture frames because you never have to worry about matching them with anything else and you can never have too many around! This is such a great idea!
I really liked this project because of the fact that you could put any design you wanted on the outside shade to match where you wanted to put it.
I really liked the page on mosaic projects. It's so easy to find really unique plates to use for projects and also left over random tiles. I especially liked this table :)
Images retrieved from: http://empressofdirt.blogspot.com/2007/08/make-your-own-old-tool-art.html




Great definitions above. I found some of the same places in Duluth. I had a hard time finding upcycling places as well. Plato's Closet is one of my favorite stores. I am always selling and buying clothes because it is a great way to get new clothes without having to spend a ton of money. The projects you chose are great. I actually met the girl in the picture frame at the Junkmarket event I attended last year!
ReplyDeleteBrenda I agree with you. One mans junk really can be another mans treasure, and that is a great way to look at things. I too like to go and look for things at platos closet and savers. They can sometimes have some really great items. Good luck when we make our junk.
ReplyDeleteBrenda, I thought your pictures on this post were awesome. I really liked the welded animals made out of tools. I too shop at Savers, Goodwill, etc., because not only are they affordable they help preserve our environment by re-using instead of buying new. I thought the projects that you chose were interesting and I actually chose the freeze frame project as well because who doesn't need picture frames for their pictures right. Nice post.
ReplyDelete