Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My SMART Goal

For the next ten weeks, we will be focusing on a SMART goal that we have made for ourselves. SMART stands for specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. My SMART goal is: 


I will take public transportation to and from school three or more days of the week for the next ten weeks. 


This goal is eco-chic because I am reducing energy consumption and saving money by not using as much gas, saving wear and tear on my car by reducing the number of miles I am putting on it and helping to improve air quality by reducing harmful pollutants emitted. 


I chose this goal because even though public transportation is offered to me for free through UMD, I still find myself driving to school. It is a huge waste of money and resources. I especially hate driving in the snow, so I want to get in a good habit of taking the bus everyday so I can easily avoid that obstacle. I am really excited to challenge myself to make a change and plan on starting today, November 10th! Wish me luck :)


Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1 hosted by Amy@Amy in the Rain

4 comments:

  1. I think that is a a great goal. If I could take the bus everyday, I would. Unfortunately, I have other obligations either immediately before or after school so I must drive. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the goal you chose for yourself. If I didn't walk to school everyday this would have been my goal! Free transportation and saving on gas money is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this goal, if I did not live within walking distance to campus I would definitely try to utilize the DTA as much as possible. As a free form of transportation it seems crazy to not use, as long as it works with your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate driving in the snow too! But I am in the same situation as Sam so I find my self driving more than I would like. This is a really great goal for you and I think that more of us at UMD should try to do this. Though it may seem like an inconvenience now in the long run we are helping out so much. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete