Monday, October 11, 2010
Eye Opener: CSPI
For this weeks eye opener, I chose to do the 'Score Your Diet' activity. I was actually quite surprised at how bad my score was. I know I am not always the most healthy eater, but for the most part I thought that I did a pretty good job.
My health score was 54, my environmental score was -33, my animal welfare score was -19, and my grand total came to a whopping 2 which is definitely in the uh-oh range! I scored the highest in the vegetables, beans, and nuts category which doesn't surprise me because I like almost any kind of vegetable whether it be raw or cooked. I scored the lowest in the milk/yogurt category which doesn't surprise me at all either because I loooooooove dairy! I'm a Wisconsin girl and love milk, yogurt, and cheese, and eat at least one of them with every meal. The biggest downfall of that is the fact that I don't focus on buying low-fat dairy. I know it's bad for me but it just doesn't taste the same!
I need to work the most on my environmental score. I'm not really sure if there's much I can do at this point especially because I'm a college student and don't have the money to spend on organic food or grass fed beef etc. I don't really like this website because I feel like they're trying to make you feel bad for eating meat. It seems like they're trying to say that you can't have that great of a score unless you're a vegetarian that eats only organic and all natural foods. I'm definitely not going vegetarian any time soon but I'll do what I can to help in other ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Brenda, like I've stated in other people's posts I think that most people would score pretty high in the dairy/animal products category. I know that I would score high in that category as well because like you I love my dairy products and I especially love eating meat. I liked to see that you were honest and up front regarding the website on how it could make someone feel guilty for choosing to eat meat. Like you, I'm definitely not going to become a vegetarian but I could cut back on the amounts of dairy and animal products that I consume. I also agree with you that most of us don't have the budget to buy more organic and healthier alternatives. Nice post.
ReplyDeleteBrenda, I agree with you. Its hard when you really enjoy dairy products I too love cereal with milk and I love cheese. I didnt do this activity, but I think that its a good one for people to take. Just remember that some of these quizes may be biased.
ReplyDeleteI think the website is just trying to make a point that eating a lot of animal products has the potential to negatively impact the earth. I don't think that their intent was to make anyone feel bad, they are just trying to get the facts out there. Like you I scored poorly on the dairy/ meat section simply because it is a staple of my diet.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you! My score was a 6 and that shocked me. I figured because I rarely ate meat that my score would be at least be moderate but no it definitely was not. Dairy was high for me because I do eat milk, yogurt, or cheese on a daily basis. To increase my score I feel I could focus on decreasing my dairy intake but it probably wouldn't do much because this test wants you to give up almost all of your intake of animal products. I also do not have the money to eat organic or natural products all the time.
ReplyDelete