Monday, October 25, 2010

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group

For this eye opener, we were asked to pick and analyze an everyday cosmetic product that we use. In order to analyze our product, we used the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. Using this website, you can search for different brands or products of cosmetics that you use, and it gives you a rating from 1-10 depending on how dangerous it is to your health according to the ingredients used. 


I chose to examine Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray. I chose this product because it is the one I use the most. I was really concerned at first when I saw that it was a  high hazard with a score of 7 out of 10. After looking at the ingredients, only the fragrance was in the high hazard zone with concerns of neurotoxicity, allergies, and immunotoxicity while and the rest of the ingredients were about half in the moderate hazard and half in the low hazard.


I have never had any problems using this product, and have been using it for a long time. I know this is a bad thing to say but even though it is considered a high hazard product, I probably won't stop using it.

3 comments:

  1. I find it very unusual that the fragrance is what is making these products rank so high on the hazardous scale. My hairspray had rating of five out of ten on the hazardous scale and I most likely will not change. Most products I use are unscented anyways because I have sensitive skin so I do not really want to get rid of the one scented product I can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, I agree with you even though we know that our products have harmful ingredients in them it is safe to say that most of us will not change them. Its hard because alternative products are much more expensive and as college students we are always looking for ways to save money. My product also scored a 7 and I too have had no problems so I dont see me using something else anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, it's crazy to think that a lot of these everyday products that we all use are so potentially hazardous to our health and yet many of us will probably not change what we are using. I do like that the cosmetic website offers healthier alternatives for us to use and I'm considering changing some of the products that I use. My product (Listerine) scored a 5 which was a moderate hazard. I probably won't stop using mouthwash but I may switch to a healthier brand. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete